From parking lots to driveways, pavement is a factor in your commercial building’s appearance to potential customers, clients and new employees. Well-maintained asphalt is functional and can be a good first impression, but if not properly tended to, it can crack and degrade, leaving unsightly potholes that make access difficult and give an impression of negligence. Don’t let this problem cost you in repair bills and lost business. Instead, consult local contractors for help with asphalt maintenance.
Damage Risks for Asphalt
When regularly maintained, asphalt can last up to and over 20 years, excellent for inexpensive paving. However, it’s not indestructible. Individual cracks may not look like a big deal to start, but they lead into more extensive damage by compromising the sealant and exposing the binding substrate to further environmental damage. Some common factors in asphalt damage and degradation include:
- Heavy traffic that exceeds safety limits, or heavy vehicles sitting in one location for long periods, can cause asphalt to crack or crumble
- Poor drainage lets water seep into asphalt and weaken the adhesive
- Temperature fluctuations cause water to expand and contract, which can create or widen cracks
- Tree roots can spread underneath asphalt and displace it
- Asphalt that is improperly laid or not sufficiently sealed can be vulnerable from the onset
How Contractors Can Help
Consulting with professional paving contractors is key to getting asphalt pavement that lasts. Local contractors understand the environmental conditions that your pavement will be up against, so they are better equipped to provide service. They also will consult with you to determine specific needs based on anticipated traffic, and look at existing pavement to assess its condition and handle resealing, patching, crack filling or full replacement of the asphalt.
For a reliable contractor to help you through asphalt maintenance, contact NVM Paving & Concrete by calling (703) 372-9335 or sending an email to [email protected] to get a free estimate for your next project.