A parking lot requires some extra care before the snow and ice of winter hit. In the Baltimore and Washington D.C. metro area, this can happen as early as late October or early November. Cracks in the pavement allow snow and ice to penetrate, then with the expansion and contraction of moisture, the asphalt surface suffers. One smart way to avoid all of this potential damage is by putting down a quality sealcoat while the temperatures still allow for application.
The Benefits of a Fall Sealcoat
Early autumn is a great time to sealcoat. So long as the temperature is above 50 degrees the application will be effective and your parking lot will reap the following benefits:
- The sealcoat layer will be fresh and potent just in time for the cold winds and harsh weather of winter
- It will prevent new cracks from forming in the asphalt and won’t allow ice and snow to gain a foothold
- It will help prevent costly repairs on your parking lot and extend the lifespan of your paving job
- A sealcoat puts down a barrier over the asphalt so even if there are small cracks in the surface, water won’t be able to penetrate
- It will look great and be a nice welcome to customers and clients entering your parking lot
Sealcoating by a professional company is always a good decision, as it protects against the corrosive action of chemicals and damaging UV rays. It can be arranged as part of a scheduled maintenance plan that gets the most out of your parking lot. Depending on the condition of your parking lot, sealcoating should be considered around every three years or so.